Saturday, September 12, 2009

8.8cm PaK43 - Sculpted Bases

I decided to splash out recently and subscribe to the new look Wargames Illustrated, and as a bonus got to choose a small box set from Battlefront as an incentive. I decided to choose the 8.8cm PaK43 Anti-Tank Platoon, mainly because it was the only option available that would fit into my as yet un-started late war German army.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that the new PaK43's come on sculpted resin bases, with the base of the gun becoming part of the actual base, making assembly (my most hated part of this hobby) a lot easier. This suits me down to the ground. It means I have a nice base with no real hassle. Of course, the more I thought about it, the more I wondered if it was the right direction to go.

It seems that Battlefront are targeting the lowest common denominator these days, in an effort no doubt to get more people playing Flames of War. This is a great direction, don't get me wrong, but what about those of us who enjoy making our own bases, adding little bits of detail to make our army stand out, or to suit a specific battle?

Would it not be better to have two sets available, even if one was special order only, so that hard-core modelers could have the full kit with no sculpted base?

And if Battlefront are going to be re-modeling all their box sets to include sculpted resin bases, what about making a sculpted base for the command team, so that the whole set is consistent?

I do like the new PaK43, and may even get distracted enough to start on it before I've finished my long over due Brit Airborne.

2 comments:

tabletop_terrain said...

The older Flak 88 boxed sets came with nicely detailed resin bases too. I should really finish painting mine at some point...

Charles Feduke said...

I got the same set for my WGI subscription, but haven't assembled it because I never have points left over to include a PaK43 platoon.

The old mid/late 88's came with TWO sets of guns and scenic and plain bases so you actually got 4 guns out of it. Two were meant to be modeled in tow on the carriages but using the scenic pre-sculpted bases you could get 4 guns... two of which you could almost never field (but a friend could).

The new Brit and German artillery sets are pretty good as well, in regards to scenic bases.

 

Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Church theme by Brian Gardner Converted into Blogger Template by Bloganol dot com